Printable Reading Strategies Worksheets
Good readers know how to analyze a text, make connections as they read and discuss text elements and story elements. These worksheets incorporate both fiction and non-fiction texts and are designed to help students practice some of the key skills good readers need to improve their comprehension and critical thinking skills.
Worksheets labeled with are Common Core Standards aligned and accessible to Pro subscribers only. Become a Subscriber to access hundreds of standards aligned worksheets.
NGSS-Aligned Reading Passages
NEW! Our NGSS-aligned reading passages feature short stories and high-interest informational passages related to topics covered in the NGSS standards. The questions that accompany the passages focus on key ELA skills, but also help students demonstrate an understanding of the NGSS standards.
Making Inferences and Drawing Conclusions
These worksheets encourage students to make inferences and draw conclusions using a variety of high-quality informational and fiction texts.
Compare and Contrast
Being able to compare and contrast is a key critical thinking skills for students. These worksheets help students compare and contrast both within texts and among texts.
These worksheets are designed to help students practice some of the key skills good readers need to improve their comprehension and critical thinking skills.
- Finding Story Details
- Looking at a Character
- Summarizing and Supporting Details
- Comparing/Contrasting Characters
- Elements of Poetry
- Forms of Poetry
- Interpreting Poetry - grades 6-8
- Rhyme and Structure in Poetry
- Interpreting Poetry - grades 9-10
- Soliloquy - grade 7
- Sonnet - grade 7
Reading Strategies Review Worksheets
Reading Logs and Checklists
- Reading Fluency Evaluation new!
- Beginning Reading Checklists new!
- Elementary Reading Challenge new!
- Alphabet Reading Challenge new!
- Middle School Reading Challenge new!
- High School Reading Challenge new!
- Monthly Reading Log new!
- Total Books Reading Log new!
- Total Books Reading and Rating Log new!
- High School Monthly Reading Log new!
Use these worksheets to help students learn to find the main idea of both fiction and non-fiction texts using a variety of strategies.
- Theme and Main Idea - grade 4
- Main Idea and Supporting Details - grade 6
- Main Idea - Science - grade 7
- Finding Main Idea (Implied, stated) - grades 9-10
Help improve students’ comprehension with these worksheets which focus on defining figurative language devices.
Cause and Effect
A cause is what happens. The effect is why. These worksheets help students identify cause and effect situations in literature and real-life scenarios found in non-fiction texts.
You will find worksheets covering various research and reading strategies in this section.
- Using Sources - grade 5
- Persuasive Speaking
- Primary and Secondary Sources
- Common Reading Strategies
- Ways to Read More Quiznew!
© Copyright Notice: All worksheets contain copyrighted work and are designed for use by individual teachers, tutors, and parents. Worksheets and/or questions may not be replicated or redistributed in any way outside HelpTeaching.com, regardless of intended usage, without explicit permission.