Reading Review (Grade 8)
- Wild cats are the most beautiful animals in the world.
- A cheetah is the world's fastest animal.
- A jaguar is sneaky.
- The lion is truly the king of the beasts.
adapted from "Movie Mom's Review of Gangs of New York" by Nell Minow
What will be the reviewer's final opinion on the movie?
- The reviewer will give the movie a negative review.
- The reviewer will not like the movie past its first fifteen minutes.
- The reviewer will not recommend the movie because it was made by Martin Scorsese.
- The reviewer will give the movie a positive review.
"The cinders and embers began falling on us, stinging and smarting like ants."
- Man vs. Man
- Man vs. Self
- Man vs. Society
- Man vs. Nature
Moments later, her mother came into the room. "Shasta," she said, "all you ever do is play that game. You never move from that spot!"
"Aw, mom," Shasta said. "I just like playing a lot."
"Yeah, yeah," her mom said, "but it isn't healthy to be in front of the TV so much, and you are in need of some heart-pumping exercise." She reached down and tried to pull Shasta to her feet.
Shasta pretended that she couldn't stand up. She wobbled like she was going to fall over. "Mom, I'm incapable of standing up! My legs are jelly. They can't hold me!"
"Then you need to strengthen those muscles! Go outside and run around! I see your friends playing basketball across the street. You can come back in after an hour."
Grumbling, Shasta shut the game off and dragged herself off the floor.
The next time she sees Shasta playing video games, Shasta's mom will most likely
- carry Shasta outside as punishment.
- command Shasta to do her homework.
- tell Shasta to do something more active.
- tell Shasta to let her little brother play.
"He glanced at her face--her eyes, which were honey brown, and her nose, which crinkled when she smiled."
- Direct Characterization
- Indirect Characterization
- falling action.
- rising action.
- A basketball fan remarks, "Watching Michael Jordan play ball knocks my socks off!"
- A soccer fan remarks, "That goalie is in way over his head."
- A football fan remarks, "That receiver's face was as white as a ghost as the ball whizzed past his hands."
- A baseball fan remarks, "I just love lots of homework on opening night of the World Series!"