Galaxies (Grade 9)
Print Test (Only the test content will print)
What is a galaxy?
- a large group of stars held together by gravity
- a system of planets and its moons
- a system of planets orbiting a star
- a group of comets
Who proved that galaxies exist?
- Edwin Hubble
- Isaac Newton
- Tyro Brahe
- Charles Messier
Which is not a type of galaxy?
The greater the distance of a galaxy away from the earth
- the older it is.
- the greater the observed blue shift.
- the more massive it is.
- the greater the observed red shift.
Extremely distant, bright, energetic object located in the core of some active galaxies.
- black hole
- white dwarf
Which set of terms is arranged from smallest to largest?
- galaxy, star, cluster, supercluster
- star, supercluster, cluster, galaxy
- galaxy, supercluster, star, cluster
- star, galaxy, cluster, supercluster
The Milky Way galaxy is a(n)
- spiral galaxy
- elliptical galaxy
- irregular galaxy
- barred spiral galaxy
M89 is an elliptical galaxy classified as E0. NGC 584 is an E4 elliptical galaxy. Which statement best compares the morphology of the two galaxies?
- M89 is has a more elliptical shape than NGC 584
- NGC 584 has a more elliptical shape than M89
- Both M89 and NGC 584 have very elliptical shapes
- Both M89 and NGC 584 have very spherical shapes
Messier 95 is classified as a SBb galaxy using the Hubble sequence. Which of the following best describes the classification of Messier 95?
- a spiral galaxy
- an elliptical galaxy
- an irregular galaxy
- a barred spiral galaxy
Collisions between galaxies are believed to be and result in .
- common; new star formation
- uncommon; new star formation
- common; frequent star collisions
- uncommon; frequent star collisions