Transition Elements (Grade 10)
Print Test (Only the test content will print)
Which of the following statements correctly describes the general properties of the transition elements?
- They are often non-paramagnetic
- They have only one oxidation state
- They are usually high melting point metals
- They usually form non-colored compounds
The transition element iron can form two common ions, [math]Fe^2[/math] and [math]Fe^3[/math] to distinguish the difference, [math]Fe^2[/math] would be written as which of the following choices?
- Iron (2)
- Iron (II)
- Iron (+2)
- Iron (+II)
The transition metals represent the transition between which periodic table groups?
- Group 1 elements and group 13 elements
- Group 2 elements and group 13 elements
- Group 3 elements and group 12 elements
- Group 4 elements and group 12 elements
Which of the following elements can be classified as transition metal?
Transition metals are elements whose atom or cation has an incomplete sub-shell.
The transition elements represent the successive addition of electrons to which atomic orbital of the atom?
- s atomic orbital
- p atomic orbital
- d atomic orbital
- f atomic orbital
Which compound is formed by transition metals?
The reason why rust (iron oxide) is an orange color, and why the Statue of Liberty, made of copper, is no longer the shiny, metallic orange of copper, but a pale green color is because they are composed of transition metals.
Which of the following transition metals are the only elements known to produce a magnetic field?
- Iron, cobalt, and silver
- Iron, cobalt, and copper
- Iron, cobalt, and nickel
- Iron, cobalt, and cadmium
Why are transition metal ions colored?