Recombinant DNA and Biotechnology (Grades 11-12)
Print Test (Only the test content will print)
Recombinant DNA and Biotechnology
Which of the following enzymes could be used to join two DNA fragments?
- DNA ligase
- DNA polymerase
- DNA recombinase
- DNA endonuclease
Which of these statements about recombinant DNA is true?
- All restriction endonucleases generate blunt end fragments.
- Hydrogen bonds between base pairs are very strong.
- Restriction endonucleases cut both strands of DNA at the same time.
- Sticky ends prevent DNA ligase activity.
What are plant cells, as opposed to animal cells, particularly useful as hosts for recombinant DNA?
- Animal cells cannot be cultured.
- Plant cells can make totipotent stem cells.
- Plant cells have reverse transcriptase.
- Plant cells have plasmids.
What task of DNA recombination does the technique of electroporation complete?
- It separates proteins based on size.
- It creates antisense DNA.
- It measures the expression level of a gene.
- It inserts the DNA into the host cell.
What characteristic makes plasmids useful as a vector?
- Many plasmids contain genes that convey antibiotic resistance.
- Plasmids do not need to be coaxed to infect cells by artificial means.
- Plasmids use the same origin of replication as eukaryotic cells.
- Plasmids can accommodate a large amount of DNA.
The enzyme responsible for the synthesis of cDNA from mRNA is called .
Hosts that are altered by the insertion of recombinant DNA are known as organisms.
Which of the following properties distinguishes an expression vector from a typical vector?
- Possession of a recognition sequence for a restriction enzyme
- Presence of reverse transcriptase
- A promoter sequence
- The ability to replicate independently within the host
Biotechnology and the use of genetically modified organisms for food is a very controversial topic. Why are people afraid to consume the genetically enhanced crops?
If all factors are equal, which of the following genetically altered foods would be of the most concern to human health?
- Food that contains an inserted gene that allows the plants to grow faster.
- Food that contains an inserted gene that produces beta-carotene in beans.
- Food that contains an inserted gene that promotes flowering.
- Food that contains an inserted gene that allows plants to grow in soil with a high salt concentration.