Compare and Contrast Science (Grade 9)
Compare and Contrast Science
One type of frog is known as the poison dart tree frog. As harmless as it looks, it carries an invisible weapon. Its skin is coated in a thin layer of toxic poison, so one bite or lick, and either the predator will die, or run off, determined never to try that meal again. Natives in the rainforest capture these little frogs and rub the ends of their hunting darts across their skin, creating a lethal weapon.
The other type of frog is the red-eyed tree frog. It looks a great deal like the poison dart frog, but the way it protects itself from predators is much different. Its back is a shade of green that allows it to merge with the rainforest around it, and when it is sleeping, it pulls its legs underneath it and closes its eyes. When a predator comes too close, the frog throws out its brightly colored legs in shades of bright blue, green, orange and yellow, and opens its bright red eyes as big as it can. The colors often scare away any predator, at least long enough for the little frog to leap to safety.
- They are both dangerous to predators.
- They both help the local natives.
- They both are very small and colorful.
- They both have startling eyes.
- How they protect themselves
- Where they usually live
- What kind of food they eat
- When they wake up to hunt
- Their size
- Their location
- Their eyees
- Their colors
Astronomy is the science of studying the earth’s atmosphere and the universe. This field of study includes examining and exploring everything from planets, stars and solar systems to asteroids, galaxies, and black holes. Astronomers research the properties of these celestial objects. They analyze how they relate and impact each other.
On the other hand, astrology is not a study. Instead, it is a belief. Astrologists study the same celestial objects as astronomers, but they do so in the belief that the positions of these stars and planets can directly impact what happens to people on earth. The horoscopes published in newspapers are based on the ideas of astrologists. They often explain how celestial objects affect people, based on their astrological or birth sign.
- The impact of stars and planets on people’s lives.
- A field of science and a study of religion.
- The use of the Greek root word “astro” in science.
- A scientific study and a personal belief system.
- Astronomers study the stars while astrologists study planets.
- Astronomers believe stars affect people while astrologists believe they cannot.
- Astronomers focus on research while astrologists focus on interpretation.
- Astronomers examine the positions of objects while astrologists examine their sizes.
- It helps people understand more about the universe.
- It helps people understand the impact of the stars on their lives.
- It helps people understand the meaning of astrological signs.
- It helps people understand more about how the planet operates.