Mutations (Grade 10)
Print Test (Only the test content will print)
What is the term for a heritable change in genetic information?
What type of mutation has occurred if the original sequence of DNA is CCC but is now CCA?
- frameshift mutation
- deletion mutation
- insertion mutation
- substitution mutation
What is a mutagen?
- A random change in the genetic sequence.
- A chemical or physical agent that causes a change in the genetic sequence.
- A method of manipulating DNA to make a change in the genetic sequence.
- A heritable factor that causes a large change in the genetic sequence.
What kind of mutation has occurred if the original sequence of nitrogen bases was CCGGTAC and the new sequence is CCGGTTAC?
- a deletion mutation
- a duplication mutation
- an inversion mutation
- a translocation mutation
What happens during an inversion mutation?
- A base or sequence of bases on the DNA strand is removed.
- Two or more nitrogen bases are moved from one part of the strand to another.
- One nitrogen base changes location with an adjacent nitrogen base.
- Several nitrogen bases appear more frequently than on the original strand.
What is an advantage of polyploidy in plants?
If a strand of DNA originally read TTACTCGG and after a mutation it read ACTTACTCGGTA, what type of mutation has occurred?
- a translocation
- an inversion
- a duplication
- a deletion
All mutations result in negative effects on the organism.
A gene mutation that involves the changes to one of a few nucleotides is known as a mutation.
What is an example of a harmful mutation involving human blood?