Noble Gases (Grade 10)
Print Test (Only the test content will print)
Which of the following elements does not react with others?
Which of the following statements describes what all of the elements in Group 18 have in common?
- They are all gases
- They all consist of one atom, only
- They all have 8 valence electrons
- (a) and (b)
Which of the following elements DOES NOT obey the octet rule?
Which of the following elements from Group 18 can react with fluorine to form a compound with the general formula [math]XF_2[/math]?
Which of the following terms can be used to describe helium?
- the octet rule
- the common ion effect
- the duet rule
- (a) and (c)
Which of the following statements correctly describes the behavior of elements that are NOT in Group 18?
- They will become atoms in the excited state
- They will become atoms in the ground state
- They will lose, gain, or share electrons to form a configuration that matches that of a noble gas
- They will lose or gain electrons, only
Imagine that the temperature in a room is set to 118 K, below that of the temperature that characterizes STP. Which of the following elements from Group 18 would NOT be a gas at this temperature?
When sulfur becomes an ion, which noble gas' electron configuration does it match up with?
Explain why noble gases are generally nonreactive.
Neon has a total of 10 valence electrons.