Geologic Time (Grade 10)
Print Test (Only the test content will print)
Geologic time encompasses all time since
- the formation of the universe
- the formation of the solar system
- the formation of the earth
- the formation of life
Order the divisions of geological time from the longest to the shortest.
- epochs, periods, eras, eons
- eons, epochs, eras, periods
- periods, epochs, eras, eons
- eons, eras, periods, epochs
Geologic eras are largely determined by
- earth's orbital position
- shifts in the fossil record
- average global temperatures
- distribution of rock sequences
Which correctly orders the three recent geologic eras from oldest to most recent?
- Mesozoic, Paleozoic, Cenozoic
- Paleozoic, Cenozoic, Mesozoic
- Mesozoic, Cenozoic, Paleozoic
- Paleozoic, Mesozoic, Cenozoic
Which is the earliest division of time on the geological time scale?
The Archean Eon ranges from approximately billion years ago.
- 0.5 - 0.1
- 2.5 - 0.5
- 4.0 - 2.5
- 4.5 - 4.0
In which geologic era do we currently live?
Which was the largest mass extinction event, killing over 90% of all species?
Trilobites and other early arthropods first appeared during what geologic period?
During which time did free oxygen begin to build-up in earth's atmosphere?