Sun Structure and Activity (Grade 9)
Print Test (Only the test content will print)
Sun Structure and Activity
About 25% of the Sun is composed of hydrogen.
Different parts of the sun rotate at different speeds.
Sunspots are regions of the Sun's surface
What is the approximate diameter of the sun?
- 150 million km
- 1.4 million km
- 15 million km
- 100 million km
Approximately how old is the Sun?
- 450,000 years
- 4.5 million years
- 4.5 billion years
- 4.5 trillion years
The luminosity of the sun results from its
- magnetic field
- energy emission
Fusion occurs in the Sun's .
The Sun contains about of the mass in our solar system.
Which phrase best describes the sun's age in its stellular life cycle?
- young adult
- middle aged
- end of life
The part of the Sun that emits visible light and is typically seen from Earth is the
- radiative zone
Which statement best describes the sun's hydrostatic equilibrium?
- the generation of energy by radiation balances the loss of the sun's energy by fusion
- the loss of the sun's energy by radiation balances the generation of energy by fusion
- the inward push of gravity balances the outward push of the sun's internal pressure
- the outward push of the sun's internal pressure balances the inward force of gravity
Galileo’s observation of the motion of sunspots provided evidence for which of the following?
- the rotation of the sun
- the sun’s chemical composition
- the layered structure of the sun
- the shape of Earth’s orbit around the sun
The temperature of the photosphere is
- cooler than the core and corona
- hotter than the core and corona
- cooler than the core and hotter than the corona
- hotter than the core and cooler than the corona
Describe the sun's rotation.
Compare and contrast solar winds and flares.