The Immune System (Grades 11-12)
Print Test (Only the test content will print)
The Immune System
Which of these glands regulate the development of the immune system?
Which of the following statements about innate and adaptive defenses is not true?
- Defense mechanisms involve recognition of self from non-self.
- Adaptive responses are usually the body's first defense mechanism.
- The skin in an example of an innate defense mechanism.
- Innate defenses are usually quicker to act than adaptive defenses.
Where do T-cells mature?
- in the thymus
- in the lymph nodes
- in the bone marrow
- in the spleen
Which of the following is NOT considered a type of leukocyte?
If one were infected by a pathogen, which of these is describes the most likely response?
- Lysozyme production would increase.
- There would be an increase in the flow of mucus.
- Phagocytosis of the pathogen by T cells could be observed.
- T cells would recognize the infected cells in the body.
Which of the following are not considered a type of phagocyte?
- dendritic cells
- T cells
When traveling to a tropical region for the first time, it is likely you will come into contact with diseases and pathogens you have never encountered before. As a result, you will need to rely heavily on your immunity for protection.
A vaccination is an inoculation of antigenic proteins that does not cause a disease to occur.
Which of the following cells releases histamines when tissues are damaged?
- mast cells
- B lymphocytes
You have just gotten a splinter in your hand. Explain what happens during the inflammatory and wound-healing response that occurs.